Buhari expresses shock over Buratai’s disappointment, condemns Boko Haram killings in Borno

 

President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday may have expressed shock of perceived disappointment of the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratia, who after one week of claiming at the State House, Abuja, that the military have killed over 1,400 terrorists in recent operations in the northeast, could not sustain the claimed success as the terrorists unleashed fresh monumental violence in rural communities in Borno State.

The presidency in a statement on Wednesday indicated that “As news of one the most brutal terrorist attacks on innocent people emerged from the Northeast, President Muhammadu Buhari said he is deeply shocked by the brutal killing of tens of people by the Boko Haram/Islam in West Africa Province (ISWAP) in Gubio village, Borno State.”

Though the presidency was silent on the Chief of Army Staff, sources said that the president, himself, was perturbed that the terrorists are still striking with potent fire force after the Chief of Army Staff has relocated to the northeast to fight the terrorists and coming back to the Presidential Villa to account of the successes made so far.

The statement further indicated that President Buhari who was expecting a detailed briefing by the Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Zulum, on the outcome of his visit to the affected communities, decried that the “primordial nature of the killings is particularly shocking because it happened not long after the Ramadhan and Eid, and the country is preparing to celebrate the Democracy Day.”

President Buhari, therefore, condemned the mass killing, challenging “the armed forces to sustain their recent string of successes against the terrorists to extract a heavy price from the attackers, and bring back all those they kidnapped as well as the large number of cattle rustled.”

The president also expressed the sincere condolences of the government and people of Nigeria to the bereaved families, communities and the government and people of Borno State.

12 COMMENTS

  1. Quite disheartening to hear such brutal attack on innocent citizens after COAS claimed successes of pushing BH hard. What sort of world are we that instead of sticking together and uniting now that the world is filled with racism, black and white, whites don’t want blacks existence. What are we struggling for, for God sake? It pains my heart sincerely. May God change us and rearranged our thinking for good. Amen.

  2. Truly disheartening! When will the lives of poor Nigerians matter to the top Nigerians who are sabotaging the innocent efforts of low ranking soldiers in their bid to defend the country? God help us, Amen!

    • Only Chad soldier can fight Boko Haram in Nigeria, Mr President are you telling Nigeria that no one is qualify to be a chef of army staff?
      Apart from burtia , are you a sharm to change him, or you are afraid he will kill you, ,since you come into power nothing good comes out of army, we don’t know that APC change is for killing.

  3. Sai Baba,Sai Baba , Change! Change!! in 2015 that’s the dividends so don’t complain anything at all enjoy all of it. Because Good luck Jonathan was weak President.Now a General has taken over with a General interest we are better today. Sai Baba!!!!!!!!!

  4. Are the Jets, choppers etc that we have at our airforce formations supposed to be for decoration or for striking aggressors. Increase number of sorties. Not once in a while. If Buhari is sincere about fighting these people,he can do away with them in2weeks. He should not allow us believe critic’s claims that he is handling the matter like this because he is sympathetic to their cause.

  5. PLEASE, ALMIGHTY GOD, HAVE MERCY UPON ALL OFFICERS / MEN OF THE NIGERIAN ARMY. INNOCENT COMBATANTS HAVE LOST THEIR LIVES. STILL, IT IS NOT OVER. BUT, WE ARE VERY OPTIMISTIC THAT WITH YOU , IT MUST BE OVER IN A POSSIBLE SHORT WHILE, IN THE MIGHTY NAME OF JESUS CHRISTAMEN

Leave a Reply to Yusuf John Cancel reply