Crime

Edo Police parade suspects over N400m AIT equipment theft, vandalism

Published

on

The Edo State Police Command has arrested two men accused of vandalising transmission and broadcast equipment belonging to Africa Independent Television (AIT) in Benin City, with the total damage from repeated attacks estimated at more than N400 million.

The suspects, identified as 26-year-old Martins Donatus and 28-year-old Mohammed Abubakar, were among 13 suspects paraded by the command on Tuesday in connection with various criminal offences.

According to the Commissioner of Police, Patrick Daaor, the two men were arrested on Monday, August 10, 2026, following an investigation into the vandalism of the AIT facility located along the Benin–Idogbo Road in Ikhueniro Community.

Daaor, who disclosed the arrests during his maiden press briefing at the Edo State Police Command headquarters, said the suspects allegedly invaded the station, which is currently off-air, and removed critical master control room and transmission equipment.

He put the value of equipment taken during the latest incident at about N150 million, while the cumulative damage resulting from three separate attacks on the facility was estimated at more than N400 million.

The repeated vandalism, the police said, has contributed significantly to the disruption of the station’s operations.

READ ALSO; Vandals attack 132KV underground cables supplying power to parts of Abuja 

In a startling confession, Donatus reportedly told journalists that he was previously a member of the construction team that worked on the AIT facility.

He allegedly admitted that the group had targeted the premises on three occasions, removing copper wires and other valuable materials before selling them for as little as N200,000.

The police said investigations were continuing to establish the full extent of the suspects’ involvement and identify other persons who may have participated in the attacks.

Suspected Kidnapper Paraded

Also paraded by the command were a suspected kidnapper and alleged member of the Aiye secret cult.

The Commissioner said the suspect allegedly lured his victim, identified as Elizabeth William, from TikTok to his residence in Ogheghe Community, where she was held captive.

According to the police, the suspect subsequently demanded and collected N500,000 as ransom before the victim was released.

Daaor said the investigation into the case was ongoing and assured that the suspects would be prosecuted upon completion of investigations.

Suspect Arrested Over Alleged Assault of Apprentice

In another case, the command paraded a suspect identified as Orji Okoro over an alleged assault involving a 12-year-old male apprentice at his residence.

The incident was reportedly recorded on August 12, 2026, with police investigators currently working to establish the circumstances surrounding the alleged assault.

READ ALSO; TCN apprehends vandals with stolen Tower Cables

Police Investigate Alleged Defilement of Eight-Year-Old Girl

The command also disclosed that detectives attached to the New Etete Division were investigating an alleged case of defilement involving an eight-year-old girl.

The police said a complaint was received on Thursday, August 14, alleging that a 21-year-old man, identified as Innocent Emmanuel, sexually assaulted the child while her parents were away from home.

According to the command, the complaint further alleged that the child had previously reported repeated sexual harassment by the same suspect, but that no action was taken at the time.

Following the latest report, police operatives arrested Emmanuel, who is currently being detained while investigations continue.

The police said the suspect would be charged to court after the completion of the investigation and other necessary procedures.

The Edo State Police Command urged parents and guardians to remain vigilant and promptly report suspected cases of child abuse or other criminal activity to the nearest police station.

The command also assured residents that investigations into the various cases would be pursued to their logical conclusion and that suspects found culpable would face prosecution.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Nationaldailyng