Latest

Suspect killed in gunfire exchange near White House as security concerns escalate

Published

on

 

 

A man identified as the suspect in a shooting incident near the White House was killed on Saturday evening after exchanging gunfire with United States Secret Service agents, authorities have confirmed.

The incident, which triggered panic around the presidential complex and forced journalists into lockdown, has renewed concerns over growing security threats targeting the White House and senior US government officials.

According to reports by CBS, the suspect was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, a man reportedly known to both the US Secret Service and Washington’s Metropolitan Police Department. Authorities said he also had a documented history of mental health challenges.

The shooting occurred barely one month after another armed incident linked to activities surrounding the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, adding to fears over repeated security breaches around one of America’s most heavily protected locations.

Investigators said the incident unfolded shortly before 6:00 p.m. local time near the Eisenhower Executive Office Building at the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, a high-security zone located close to the White House.

According to law enforcement officials, the suspect allegedly pulled a handgun from a bag and began firing near the White House perimeter.

READ ALSO: Russian officials mock European leaders after White House talks

Secret Service agents stationed in the area immediately responded, returning fire and critically wounding the suspect during the exchange.

Authorities confirmed that one bystander sustained injuries during the gunfire, although officials did not immediately disclose the severity of the injuries. No Secret Service personnel were harmed during the incident.

Authorities said the suspect had been living in Washington DC for about 18 months prior to Saturday’s shooting.

Saturday’s shooting has become the latest in a growing list of security scares involving the White House and other sensitive government facilities in Washington DC.

Security experts say rising political tensions, extremist threats and growing hostility toward public officials have forced federal agencies to intensify protective operations around critical government infrastructure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Nationaldailyng