Latest

Desmond Elliot reveals why he backed Obasa’s impeachment in 2025

Published

on

 

 

Lagos State lawmaker representing Surulere Constituency I, Desmond Elliot, has provided fresh details on why he signed the impeachment notice against former Speaker Mudashiru Obasa during the leadership crisis that rocked the Lagos State House of Assembly in January 2025.

Speaking on Tuesday during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily, Elliot said his decision was influenced by the belief among lawmakers that the impeachment process had the backing of the presidency.

Elliot clarified that he was outside Nigeria when the political drama unfolded, stating that he and his wife had travelled on January 13, 2025, during a legislative recess.

“I would like to state categorically that I wasn’t in the country. My wife and I travelled during the period of January 13th of 2025,” he said.

He explained that the trip was for a family wedding and that he was in South Africa when news of Obasa’s impeachment broke.

“That was the time Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Ajayi Obasa was impeached. It came to me as a shock because I was in South Africa then,” Elliot said, adding that he initially struggled to understand the unfolding developments.

According to Elliot, many lawmakers believed the impeachment had been endorsed at the highest level, which influenced the decision of several legislators—including himself—to append their signatures.

“And then I saw that almost everybody had signed. And pretty much we thought it was from the presidency. In all fairness, we thought it was from the presidency,” he explained.

READ ALSO: Desmond Elliot empowers 700 widows, gifts Lagride cars

He added that he signed the notice upon his return, noting that he was among the later signatories as other lawmakers had already acted before him.

Elliot disclosed that the situation changed after President Bola Ahmed Tinubu reportedly intervened, clarifying that he did not authorise the impeachment.

“But eventually, Mr President called us and made us understand that it was not from him and asked us to return the speaker. And we did,” he said.

Following the clarification, lawmakers reversed the decision, leading to Obasa’s reinstatement after weeks of political tension.

Response to Gbajabiamila’s Claim

Elliot also reacted to comments by the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, who alleged that intelligence reports linked Elliot to the impeachment attempt and that the situation nearly cost him his position.

Expressing surprise, Elliot said the accusation was unexpected given their long-standing political relationship.

“So, my leader coming to say this… that I almost lost his job, one I have served and has also been there for me for this long, that came to me as a shock,” he said.

Assembly Crisis and Aftermath

On January 13, 2025, a majority of Lagos lawmakers voted to remove Obasa while he was reportedly on vacation in the United States. The lawmakers accused him of gross misconduct, abuse of office, poor leadership style, and financial mismanagement—allegations he denied.

Following his removal, Deputy Speaker Mojisola Meranda was elected as Speaker.

However, weeks of political tension, legal disputes, and party-level interventions eventually led to Meranda stepping down and Obasa returning to his position as Speaker of the Assembly.

The episode remains one of the most significant political crises in recent Lagos legislative history, exposing deep internal divisions within the state’s ruling political structure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Trending

Copyright © 2024 Nationaldailyng