Connect with us

Latest

14 wedding guests killed in horror crash along Enugu–Port Harcourt Expressway

Published

on

14 wedding guests killed in horror crash along Enugu–Port Harcourt Expressway
Spread The News

 

 

Tragedy struck residents of Umuahia over the weekend as at least 14 people lost their lives in a devastating auto crash while returning from a traditional marriage and wedding ceremony.

The victims were reportedly travelling back from a ceremony in Enugu on Saturday evening when the coaster bus conveying them collided head-on with an articulated vehicle along the Enugu–Port Harcourt Expressway.

The accident occurred near the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ozalla, a few metres from the popular 4-Corner Junction.

Eyewitnesses said the crash happened around 6:00 p.m. and described the impact as catastrophic.

Fourteen passengers were said to have died instantly at the scene, while others later succumbed to injuries at various hospitals. Several survivors are reportedly still receiving treatment in medical facilities in Umuahia, battling for their lives.

Most of the deceased were traders dealing in foodstuffs at Bonny Street, along Owerri Road near Isi Gate in Umuahia — a bustling commercial hub that has now been plunged into mourning.

Among those on the ill-fated journey was the groom, Mr. MacDonald Okechukwu, an indigene of Orlu in Imo State. His bride is from Amagunze in Nkanu area of Enugu State, where the traditional marriage and church wedding had been held shortly before the fatal accident.

By Monday, Bonny Street wore a sombre look, with many shops shut as grieving families, friends, and sympathisers gathered to console one another. The usually vibrant market area was enveloped in shock and sorrow.

READ ALSO: Gombe state presents N14m support to families of seven journalists killed in road accident

Chairman of the Bonny Street Traders Association, Mr. James Edeh, who confirmed the incident, described the crash as horrific and deeply painful for the community.

“We evacuated 12 bodies, including eight traders, two kinsmen of the groom, and two other guests,” Edeh said.

He added that preliminary accounts from the trailer driver suggested the bus was allegedly driving against traffic at the time, while the trailer was attempting to overtake a tricycle, resulting in the fatal head-on collision.

Authorities are expected to conduct further investigations to determine the exact cause of the crash.

The Abia State Government has expressed sadness over the tragedy. Ferdinand Ekeoma, Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the Governor, said the governor had directed relevant officials to identify the victims and provide necessary support.

“The governor expressed sadness over the incident and directed the Commissioner for Poverty Alleviation and Social Protection to identify the victims and their families to enable the government to provide support for treatment of the injured and assistance to bereaved families,” Ekeoma stated.

As investigations continue, the accident has once again raised concerns about road safety and driving practices along major highways, particularly the busy Enugu–Port Harcourt corridor.

For families of the victims, however, the focus remains on grieving loved ones whose journey of celebration tragically ended in heartbreak.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Trending