Connect with us

Latest

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, NSA wiretapping

Published

on

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, NSA wiretapping
Spread The News

The Department of State Services (DSS) is set to arraign former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai on February 25 over alleged cybercrime offences and breach of national security.

The case will be heard at the Federal High Court (FHC), Abuja, before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, following its assignment by the Chief Judge, Justice John Tsoho.

According to court documents, the DSS filed a three-count criminal charge marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026 against El-Rufai, accusing him of breaching provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024, and the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

In the first count, the former governor is alleged to have, on February 13, during an appearance on Arise TV’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, admitted that he and others unlawfully intercepted telephone communications of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.

The offence is said to be contrary to Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count two alleges that El-Rufai, during the same interview, stated that he knew and had interactions with an individual who unlawfully intercepted the NSA’s phone communications but failed to report the matter to security agencies. This charge is said to contravene Section 27(b) of the amended Cybercrimes Act.

READ ALSO: From EFCC bail to DSS custody: El-Rufai faces new allegations

The third count accuses El-Rufai and others still at large of using technical equipment or systems in Abuja in 2026 to unlawfully intercept the NSA’s communications in a manner that compromised public safety and national security. The DSS said the act violated Section 131(2) of the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003.

The charges stem from remarks made by El-Rufai during a live television interview in which he claimed to have overheard Ribadu allegedly directing security operatives to detain him.

He linked the alleged directive to what he described as an attempted arrest at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport on February 12, shortly after returning from Cairo, Egypt.

The DSS maintains that his statements amounted to admissions of unlawful interception of communications.

The arraignment comes amid separate investigations involving the former governor.

Earlier in the week, El-Rufai was detained by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over corruption allegations. He was granted administrative bail around 8 p.m. on Wednesday but was subsequently taken into custody by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

Confirming the development, ICPC spokesperson John Odey stated in a message that “Malam Nasiru El-Rufai is in the custody of the commission in connection with ongoing investigations.”

The February 25 arraignment is expected to formally open proceedings in the cybercrime case, marking the latest chapter in the escalating legal challenges facing the former Kaduna governor.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Trending