Featured
Ukraine: Tennis star drops racket for gun
Ukrainian tennis player Sergiy Stakhovsky said Saturday he has joined his country’s military reserves to fight the Russian invasion.
The 36-year-old Stakhovsky once ranked at 31 in the world and who famously defeated Roger Federer on Wimbledon’s Centre Court in 2013, said that once he has helped his wife and child reach safety in Hungary, he will be happy to answer a call to arms.
“Of course, I would fight, it’s the only reason I’m trying to get back,” he told Sky News.
“I signed up for the reserves last week. I don’t have military experience but I do have experience with a gun privately.
“My dad and brother are surgeons, they are stressed out, but I speak to them frequently – they sleep in the basement.”
Meanwhile, fellow Ukrainian tennis professional Dayana Yastremska, 21, said she and her family spent two nights sheltering underground in Odessa.
“After spending two nights in the underground parking, my parents made a decision at any cost to send me and my little sister out of Ukraine! Mom, Dad, we love you very much, take care of yourself!!! I love you my country,” the former top-25 player wrote on Instagram
AFP
-
Featured1 week agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Latest7 days agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Featured1 week agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest1 week agoOsun poll: Chaos in Ejigbo as voters, INEC officials run for safety
-
Latest1 week agoOsun 2026: 10 LGAs that could decide the governorship election
-
Latest1 week agoOsun Poll: Police dispute Speaker’s siege claim, nab 300 at politician’s residence
-
Latest7 days agoOsun poll: Adeleke accuses Police of aiding APC supporters to disrupt voting [VIDEO]
-
Latest6 days agoOsun Decides: INEC declares Adeleke winner


