Featured
Covid-19: Nothing strange about Kano incidents—NCDC boss
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control says it remains focused on the fight against the novel coronavirus pandemic in Nigeria.
The agency said on Monday in Abuja that it would increase testing for the virus across the country as a strategy to succeed.
Director-General of NCDC, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, gave the reassurance at the daily briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.
He explained that the increasing cases of COVID-19 in Kano State were not surprising.
“I will like to remind everyone that we remain focused on our target which is to increase testing across the country; during a pandemic, the risk of spread is in those towns where the population density is highest.
“We are all aware of the population density in Kano. The high number of cases we are now seeing in Kano is really not a surprise,” he said.
“Since reporting its index case about two weeks ago, Kano has been the centre of controversies ranging from the rapid increase in number of confirmed cases to the sudden halt of its only testing centre.
“Kano, which currently stands as the third hardest-hit state in Nigeria has so far reported 77 cases out of the 1,273 cases of the infection Nigeria,” he said.
Ihekweazu said that NCDC was also working hard to investigate the cause of some deaths in the state.
He said that the agency did everything possible to activate the Kano laboratory.
The director-general said that the laboratory, domiciled at the Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, hosted many northern states.
“I am happy to announce that the Kano laboratory will start working this afternoon and start testing samples again as it should be.
”This has not been an easy effort. It has taken the collective effort of my team, the laboratory scientists in Kano and many people that have quietly worked on this to make it happen.
”We will not stop until the laboratory is fully functional again, ” he said.
He noted that there were concerns about happenings in Kano, saying that efforts were being made to address the issues.
“We want to address the Kano issue headlong. We are very concerned about what is happening in the state but there is no magic bullet. We will continue to work hard,” he said.
(NAN)
-
Football1 week agoSuper Falcons target World Cup play-off spot against South Africa
-
Featured5 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Business6 days agoWho is really benefiting from Nigeria’s economic reforms?
-
Business7 days agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Featured5 days agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest5 days agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Business7 days agoDeep offshore tax order to unlock $50bn investment, boost oil output–Ojulari
-
Business6 days agoPound climbs to N1,837 as Naira holds steady amid stronger FX market liquidity


