Crime
Gunmen abduct travelers from Cross River Highway
Abductors took away passengers commuting on the Ikom-Ogoja Highway in Cross River on Tuesday.
Commissioner of Police in Cross River, Mr Sule Balarabe, confirmed the abduction, but said the number of victims had not been ascertained.
He added that while awaiting the number of victims from the Divisional Police Officer in the area, a tactical team, including members of the police anti-kidnap squad had been deployed in the area.
An eyewitness told the News Agency of Nigeria that no fewer than nine persons were abducted by the gun-toting abductors between Okomita and Uyanghoa communities near Calabar.
He said the gunmen emerged from the forest in the area and shot at vehicles to force them to stop.
He added that some of the passengers sustained gunshot wounds before the gunmen moved others into the forest.
-
Featured6 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Business1 week agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Business7 days agoWho is really benefiting from Nigeria’s economic reforms?
-
Featured6 days agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest6 days agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Business1 week agoDeep offshore tax order to unlock $50bn investment, boost oil output–Ojulari
-
Business1 week agoPound climbs to N1,837 as Naira holds steady amid stronger FX market liquidity
-
Latest6 days agoOsun poll: Chaos in Ejigbo as voters, INEC officials run for safety


