The absence of menstrual period in a woman is called, amenorrhea. It happens when a girl has not seen her first menstrual period by age 16. This can also refer to a woman, who has not seen her menstrual period for 3 to 6 months. The most common cause of amenorrhea is pregnancy. Lifestyle and other factors, may also cause a woman not to see her period.
This article will look at 6 reasons why a woman may not see her menstrual period. They include the following:
1. A woman may not see her period because of natural things like pregnancy, menopause and breastfeeding.
2. When a woman suddenly stops taking birth control pills, it may lead to absence of menstrual period for few months. After a while, the menstrual cycle will return to normal.
3. Experiencing hormonal imbalance may lead to absence of menstrual period. This can be caused by tumors on the pituitary gland or thyroid gland. When a woman has low estrogen level or high testosterone level, it may result to absence of menstrual period.
4. There are types of medications that may lead to absence of menstrual period.
5. This can also occur as a result of birth defect, tumors, or infections that occurred in the womb or shortly after birth.
6. A woman who has a physical defect such as structural problems in her female reproductive organs, might experience absent or delayed menstruation.
Types of absent menstruation
There are two types of absent menstruation and they are:
1. Primary amenorrhea
This happens when a girl has reached or passed the age of 16, and she’s yet to see her first menstrual period.
2. Secondary amenorrhea
This happens when a woman stops seeing her menstrual period, for at least 3 months.
It is important that a woman should visit a doctor, if she stops seeing her menstrual period.