News
Breaking: Yahaya Bello leaves EFCC office without interrogation, media office confirms
In an unexpected turn of events, former Kogi State Governor Alhaji Yahaya Bello departed from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) office on Wednesday without undergoing any interrogation regarding the ongoing corruption allegations against him.
Bello had arrived at the EFCC office earlier in the day in response to the agency’s invitation.
In a statement on Wednesday morning signed by Ohiare Michael, Director, Yahaya Bello Media Office, Bello had honoured the invitation of the EFCC by presenting himself for interrogation.
However, providing an update Wednesday afternoon, Michael said the EFCC did not, however, interrogate him “as officials told him he could leave.”
READ ALSO: Yahaya Bello not in EFCC custody
He said: “Earlier today, we reported the voluntary visit of former Governor of Kogi State, HE Alh. Yahaya Bello to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission office to honour the Commission’s invitation.
“In the statement, we reiterated the former Governor’s great respect for the rule of law and constituted authority, and stressed that, all the while, he only sought the enforcement of his fundamental rights in order to ensure due process.
“The EFCC did not, however, interrogate him as officials told him he could leave. We don’t know what this means yet. As we write, HE Alhaji Yahaya Bello has left the EFCC office. He was accompanied there by the Governor of Kogi State, HE Alhaji Ahmed Usman Ododo.
“Recall that the case has been before a competent court of jurisdiction, and Alhaji Yahaya Bello had been duly represented by his legal team at every hearing. The former Governor decided to honour the invitation to clear his name as he has nothing to hide and nothing to fear.”
He noted, “Former Governor Bello attended the EFCC office voluntarily to address the Commission’s concerns. Despite our expectation of an interrogation, the EFCC officials allowed him to leave without questioning. We are currently unclear about the implications of this development.”
Accompanied by Kogi State’s current Governor, Alhaji Ahmed Usman Ododo, Bello’s visit comes amidst ongoing court proceedings related to the corruption allegations. Bello has maintained his innocence and has consistently been represented by legal counsel at all hearings.
The situation has left observers and stakeholders questioning the next steps in the investigation and the reasons behind the EFCC’s decision not to interrogate Bello during his visit.
-
Business7 days agoNigeria’s foreign debt climbs 22% to $51.86bn under Tinubu administration
-
Business1 week agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Energy1 week agoRising global oil tensions raise fresh fears over Nigeria’s fuel prices
-
Business1 week agoDangote Refinery sues FG over petrol import licences in downstream market showdown
-
Business5 days agoAnalysts hail equities rally as over 30 NGX stocks beat inflation in April
-
Business5 days agoSterling Holdings FY2025 profit soars by 89% despite rising credit losses
-
Business5 days agoDespite huge investment, Nigeria’s telecom sector struggles to meet soaring data demand
-
Business5 days agoFirstBank unveils Naira Visa Debit Card to deepen cashless payments, financial inclusion

