News
N1.8bn fraud: EFCC drags police officers to court
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Thursday dragged four police officers and two companies before a High Court in Lagos for allegedly defrauding the Nigeria Police Force of a whopping N1, 892,832,203
In the charge sheet marked Temp/39698/2018, exclusively obtained by National Daily, Olumide Odumosu, Sule Yusuf Tegina, Helen Nwafor, Okpalugo Ifeoma, and two companies, Olu Osmond Nigeria Ltd and Jemmy Yus Investment Nigeria Ltd were dragged before Justice Sherifat Solebo on a 14-count charge bordering on conspiracy to steal and felony contrary to section 409 and punishable under section 285 (1) of the criminal law of Lagos state, 2011.
The EFCC stated that the defendants conspired with one Ogbadu Joseph and one Hassan Muhammed, who were said to be at large to steel N1.8bn from the coffers of the Nigeria Police Force and fraudulently converted it to their own between 2013 and 2014.
Count one on the charge sheet signed by Rotimi Oyedepo Iseoluwa, Nnaemeka and I.A Mohammed, counsels to the EFCC, Ogbadu Joseph, who is now at large and the six accused sometimes in 2013 in Nigeria, within the jurisdiction of the court conspired amongst themselves to commit felony, to wit: stealing of the sum of N1, 301,334,108 belonging to the Nigeria police.
The six accused and Joseph were also accused of dishonestly converted to their use the sum of N6, 250,000 belonging to the police. In count three, Ogbadu Joseph and the six accused were said to have also converted to their use the sum of N85, 610,000 belonging to the Nigeria police.
The EFCC stated that the six accused and Ogbadu Joseph, who is now at large between 10th day of January and 31st day of December, 2014 in Lagos, within the jurisdiction of the court dishonestly converted for their use the sum N44, 250,000.
National Daily gathered that the six accused persons had been in the custody of the EFCC since they were arrested following a court warrant for them to be in EFCC custody.
Unfortunately, their plea could not be taken during hearing following the excuse given by one of the accused that she could neither speaks nor understands the English language.
The defence counsel, A.O. Osinfowora, however asked that the defendants should be returned to the EFCC, but Justice Solebo turned the prayer down and ordered instead that the defendants should be remanded in the prison custody.
All six were therefore ordered to be reminded in prison till November 7 when their plea will be taken.
-
Featured6 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Business1 week agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Business1 week agoWho is really benefiting from Nigeria’s economic reforms?
-
Featured6 days agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest6 days agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Business1 week agoDeep offshore tax order to unlock $50bn investment, boost oil output–Ojulari
-
Business1 week agoPound climbs to N1,837 as Naira holds steady amid stronger FX market liquidity
-
Latest6 days agoOsun poll: Chaos in Ejigbo as voters, INEC officials run for safety


