Latest
Suspect killed in gunfire exchange near White House as security concerns escalate
A man identified as the suspect in a shooting incident near the White House was killed on Saturday evening after exchanging gunfire with United States Secret Service agents, authorities have confirmed.
The incident, which triggered panic around the presidential complex and forced journalists into lockdown, has renewed concerns over growing security threats targeting the White House and senior US government officials.
According to reports by CBS, the suspect was identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, a man reportedly known to both the US Secret Service and Washington’s Metropolitan Police Department. Authorities said he also had a documented history of mental health challenges.
The shooting occurred barely one month after another armed incident linked to activities surrounding the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, adding to fears over repeated security breaches around one of America’s most heavily protected locations.
Investigators said the incident unfolded shortly before 6:00 p.m. local time near the Eisenhower Executive Office Building at the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, a high-security zone located close to the White House.
According to law enforcement officials, the suspect allegedly pulled a handgun from a bag and began firing near the White House perimeter.
READ ALSO: Russian officials mock European leaders after White House talks
Secret Service agents stationed in the area immediately responded, returning fire and critically wounding the suspect during the exchange.
Authorities confirmed that one bystander sustained injuries during the gunfire, although officials did not immediately disclose the severity of the injuries. No Secret Service personnel were harmed during the incident.
Authorities said the suspect had been living in Washington DC for about 18 months prior to Saturday’s shooting.
Saturday’s shooting has become the latest in a growing list of security scares involving the White House and other sensitive government facilities in Washington DC.
Security experts say rising political tensions, extremist threats and growing hostility toward public officials have forced federal agencies to intensify protective operations around critical government infrastructure.
-
Football7 days agoWAFCON 2026: Super Falcons battle South Africa for World Cup play-off spot
-
Latest7 days agoOsun 2026: Oyinlola group backs Oyebamiji, faults Adeleke over exclusion
-
Business5 days agoBigi, Fearless take campus engagement to new level, reach 20 tertiary institutions
-
Football4 days agoSuper Falcons target World Cup play-off spot against South Africa
-
Business4 days agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Featured2 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Latest5 days agoOsun 2026: Adeleke, Oyebamiji Clash Over N650bn, ‘Federal Might’ ahead of poll
-
Aviation6 days agoAir Peace suspends flights as aviation unions block Lagos, Abuja terminals


