News
EFCC on trail of ex-Gov. Shema over N60 bn mismanaged
Katsina ex-Gov. Ibrahim Shema is now a wanted man after he narrowly escaped arrest on Aug 14.
The EFCC began a manhunt for Shema over allegation levelled at him by his successor Aminu Masari who said he mismanaged about N68 billion belonging to Katsina when he was in office between 2007 and 2015.
According to sources Premium Times quoted, in 2012 alone, Shema allegedly diverted about N18 billion from government coffers into his private accounts for undisclosed reasons.
“The officials said Mr. Shema further raided local governments monthly allocation accounts which were being jointly run with the state government, leaving little for developmental projects and clearance of local government employees’ wages and salaries,” the online newspaper reported, adding that a sum of N50 billion is believed to have been mismanaged this way.
ALSO SEE: Buhari to sell planes as recession deepens
The EFCC sources said Mr. Shema had been evading the anti-graft office for close to a year; and narrowly escaped being arrested on Wednesday.
The former governor has been parrying off the EFCC invitation since December 2015, saying he wasn’t in the country, according to the commission’s officials.
“He wrote back to us that he would visit as soon as he returned, but he never did. Another two subsequent invitations were sent to him which he failed to honour.”
Shema’s lawyer, Wole Olanipekun, however, was said to have requested for a reschedule of the invitation in July, and the agency has not responded in anyway.
“From all indications, it appears like the same issue which Governor Bello Masari had petitioned EFCC about,” Shema’s spokesperson Oluwabusola Olawale said, describibg the allegation as false.
He said Masari, out of malice, has equally set up a Commission of Inquiry to investigate the matter, and there’s a pending court case on it.
-
Latest5 days agoTinubu files: US Judge grants four-day extension in FOIA disclosure battle
-
Latest1 week agoOsun Decides: INEC declares Adeleke winner
-
Entertainment4 days agoPoco Lee faces rape allegation as unverified UK arrest report spreads online
-
Featured5 days agoBeyond Osun 2026: What Adeleke’s re-election reveals about Nigeria’s road to 2027
-
Comments and Issues2 days agoCan President Tinubu Revive Nigeria’s Moribund Refineries?
-
Business5 days agoStandard Bank eyes stake in OPay ahead of planned $4bn US IPO
-
Business2 days agoTinubu knocks Atiku’s subsidy plan, says proposal shows ‘ignorance’ of economy
-
Business4 days agoProfit-taking hits NGX again as First HoldC leads market declines


