Crime
CP restates ban on sale, unauthorised use of fireworks
The Commissioner of Police in Enugu State, Mr Ahmed Ammani, has restated the ban on the sale and unauthorised use of fireworks, otherwise known as ‘banger’ in the state.
This is contained in a statement issued by the Spokesman for the Command, DSP Daniel Ndukwe, on behalf of the commissioner in Enugu on Tuesday.
The commissioner assured residents of the command’s robust measures to ensure public security and safety in the state this yuletide.
Ammani, therefore, ordered all Area Commanders, Divisional Police Officers and Heads of Tactical Units of the Command to ensure the fortification of security in all parts of the state and the full enforcement of the ban on fireworks.
According to him, this is to avoid criminal elements using them as a decoy to perfect their criminal activities this yuletide.
“Fireworks have been used to celebrate the yuletide with little or no unpleasant security consequences previously. Doing so this time has become impracticable due to the dynamic security situation and the implication of letting off fireworks in this age.
“These implications include but not limited to: criminal elements using it as a tool to perfect their criminal intentions and/or create panic.
“As well, the general hazards igniting fireworks could pose to human life and property, due to its high tendency of causing bodily injuries and fire outbreak, especially in this harmattan season.
“The command is warning dealers and users of fireworks to desist from doing so.
“We are also cautioning parents and guardians to dissuade their children and wards from buying and igniting the products; as anyone caught violating the ban will be made to face the full wrath of the law,” he said.
The state police boss enjoined residents to be law-abiding, vigilant and promptly report violators of the ban and suspected criminals and their activities to nearest police station.
“They can call the Command’s hotlines on: 08032003702, 08075390883, 08098880172 or 08086671202; or alternatively send emails to [email protected],” he said.
-
Business5 days agoNigeria: Whither the fruits of 2026 crude oil windfall?
-
Latest5 days agoMakinde declares 2027 presidential bid under PDP–APM alliance
-
Comments and Issues6 days agoPolitical Parties Primaries: Consensus or Coronation?
-
Business4 days agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoDoes it matter to Africa if Nigel Farage comes to Number 10?
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoIs France Real or Playing Ping Pong With Africa?
-
Business3 days agoNigeria’s foreign debt climbs 22% to $51.86bn under Tinubu administration
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoThe “Onuku” Called Kenneth Okonkwo

