Business
NCC expresses concerns over planned tax to fund proposed Child’s Online Access Protection Bill
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has raised its concern over introducing new taxes on the telecommunications operators in the country in a bid to fund the proposed Child’s Online Access Protection Bill.
The Deputy Director, Legal of the NCC, Mr Abang Abua, while speaking when he appeared on behalf of the Executive Vice Chairman/CEO of the NCC, Dr Aminu Maida, before the House of Representatives’ Committee on Justice in Abuja on Tuesday, explained the concern of the NCC about imposing new taxes on the operators to fund new bill when it eventually becomes law.
READ ALSO: Why SIM cards previously linked to NIN were barred–NCC
Abua said: “We are concerned about tax because our operators are already inundated with taxes.”
Not only the NCC opposed any new tax to fund the Child’s Online Access Protection Bill, the Federal Inland Revenue (FIRS) through its chairman Zacch Adedeji, who was represented by Matthew Osanekwu, told the legislators that the idea of introducing new taxes and levies on business owners as a means to finance the bill will place unnecessary burdens on businesses.
The NCC and the FIRS, however, canvass for another means of financing which may come from the national budget.
-
Latest5 days agoTinubu files: US Judge grants four-day extension in FOIA disclosure battle
-
Comments and Issues2 days agoCan President Tinubu Revive Nigeria’s Moribund Refineries?
-
Latest1 week agoOsun Decides: INEC declares Adeleke winner
-
Entertainment4 days agoPoco Lee faces rape allegation as unverified UK arrest report spreads online
-
Featured6 days agoBeyond Osun 2026: What Adeleke’s re-election reveals about Nigeria’s road to 2027
-
Business3 days agoTinubu knocks Atiku’s subsidy plan, says proposal shows ‘ignorance’ of economy
-
Business5 days agoStandard Bank eyes stake in OPay ahead of planned $4bn US IPO
-
Business5 days agoProfit-taking hits NGX again as First HoldC leads market declines


