Latest
NEMA says Nigeria now purged of Boko Haram
The Nigeria military might have hit the December target President Muhammadu Buhari gave them to wipe out Boko Haram as the National Emergency Management Agency said there’s no more community under the terrorist group control.
“We should thank our soldiers and the commitment of President Muhammadu Buhari to making sure this has come to pass,” NEMA’s D-G Sani Sidi said yesterday.
“We are soon getting over with the emergency issues; we are heading towards rehabilitation of IDPs instead.”
According to him, the government is working with various international agencies to make sure those at the IDP camps are fully rehabilitated.
Information Minister Lai Mohammed had earlier told Nigerians the rebellion was over after taking 33 journalists, local and international, across the hotbed of terrorism in the northeast.
“I can report to you that the entire 70 plus kilometres stretch from Maiduguri to Bama and all the way to Banki which leads to Cameroun and the Central African Republic are in the hands of our gallant troops,” the minister said Thursday.
He added the military presence could be felt every few metres along the road. “They have so degraded the capacity of Boko Haram that the terrorists can no longer hold on to any territory just as they can no longer carry out any spectacular attack.”
Boko Haram, recently branded the world’s bloodiest terrorist group, had buffeted Nigeria, especially the northeast, for about six years, killing more than 16,000 people.
In the process, the last administration, headed by former President Goodluck Jonathan, launched a military campaign, Operation Restore Order, which wasn’t so successful because of what many described as sabotage within the military.
The current government’s campaign, Operation Lafiya Dole, took the combined effort of the Nigerian armed forces and the Multinational Joint Task Force, to pound down the terrorists.
-
Featured6 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Business1 week agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Business7 days agoWho is really benefiting from Nigeria’s economic reforms?
-
Featured6 days agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest6 days agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Business1 week agoDeep offshore tax order to unlock $50bn investment, boost oil output–Ojulari
-
Business7 days agoPound climbs to N1,837 as Naira holds steady amid stronger FX market liquidity
-
Latest6 days agoOsun poll: Chaos in Ejigbo as voters, INEC officials run for safety


