Football
Ivan Rakitic to Man Utd, But Messi gets a fine
Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde has seemingly left the door open for Ivan Rakitic to join Manchester United.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are thought to have shown interest in the Croatia international, who could replace Paul Pogba should he be offloaded this summer.
Rakitic, 31, has two years remaining on his current contract but Valverde wouldn’t assure him of regular first-team action.
“Rakitic has been an important player, I don’t know if it will be this season,” he said. “New players are coming and he will have to earn it.”
In other news, Lionel Messi has been banned for one game and fined £1200.
The Argentina captain was sent off against Chile and afterwards alleged that the tournament had been fixed in favour of Brazil, who beat Argentina in a controversial semi-final on their way to claiming the title.
Messi called the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) “corrupt” and did not attend the ceremony to pick up his medal.
CONMEBOL said on Tuesday that Messi’s comments were “unacceptable” but backed down from imposing a tougher sanction on the five-times world player of the year.
-
Business4 days agoNigeria: Whither the fruits of 2026 crude oil windfall?
-
Latest5 days agoMakinde declares 2027 presidential bid under PDP–APM alliance
-
Comments and Issues6 days agoPolitical Parties Primaries: Consensus or Coronation?
-
Business4 days agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoDoes it matter to Africa if Nigel Farage comes to Number 10?
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoIs France Real or Playing Ping Pong With Africa?
-
Business3 days agoNigeria’s foreign debt climbs 22% to $51.86bn under Tinubu administration
-
Comments and Issues4 days agoThe “Onuku” Called Kenneth Okonkwo

