Crime
Security collapses in Abuja as bandits invade Kuje Prison
The security network seemingly collapsed in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), opening space for bandits to invade the Kuje Prison arena on Tuesday evening, detonating explosives and firing gunshots in the vicinity of the correctional centre.
As at Wednesday morning, details of the attack were still sketchy.
An official of the Nigerian Correctional Service, AD Umar, was said to have confirmed the attack of the correctional centre by gunmen. He, however, said that the situation had been brought under control by security operatives who intervened.
Umar was cited to have highlighted: “I wish to confirm that about 2200hrs, some yet to be identified gunmen attacked the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje in the Federal Capital Territory.
“However, men of the Armed Squad of the Nigerian Correctional Service and other security agencies attached to the Custodial centre have responded and calm has been restored to the facility and the situation is under control.
“Details will be made available soon.”
Bandits had earlier ambushed a presidential advance convoy of President Muhammadu Buhari near Dutsinma, Katsina State.
-
Latest5 days agoMakinde declares 2027 presidential bid under PDP–APM alliance
-
Business4 days agoNigeria: Whither the fruits of 2026 crude oil windfall?
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoPolitical Parties Primaries: Consensus or Coronation?
-
Business3 days agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoDoes it matter to Africa if Nigel Farage comes to Number 10?
-
Featured5 days agoObasanjo faults Tinubu’s economic reforms, calls them necessary but poorly designed
-
Business6 days agoAnger, debate trail proposed $1.25bn loan amid concerns over Nigeria’s debt surge
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoIs France Real or Playing Ping Pong With Africa?

