It looks increasingly like Alexis Sanchez will be sold by Arsenal to Manchester City in the January transfer window for less than his asking price.
According to widespread reports, City will get their man after Arsenal softened on the demand for £35m. On late Monday afternoon, a number of outlets reported the same story, albeit with different takes. By Tuesday morning, more had piled in.
– The Independent report that Arsenal have agreed to soften their stance on selling Sanchez for £35m after his relationship with other first-team players deteriorated.
– They also say that Manchester City have changed their mind on pursuing him in January after Gabriel Jesus’ injury. The Daily Mail also go with that line, but say that City are prepared to bid £35m.
– The Guardian say that City have not made a bid yet, but that one will be made worth £30m in the next few days. It is expected that that bid will be expected.
– The Sun believe that Alexis Sanchez would have been in line for a £25m signing-on fee if he waited until the summer, and so is therefore prepared to forego that money in order to join City early. Alright, Johnny Full Pockets.
– The Manchester Evening News say that Sanchez is prepared to wait until the summer and reject moves to other clubs if Arsenal refuse to lower their asking price, so determined is he to move to City.
Alexis Sánchez could complete his Manchester City transfer by next week as Arsenal have softened their stance on his £35m sale. (Source: Independent) pic.twitter.com/HAwK9mkYYZ
— Transfer News Live (@DeadlineDayLive) January 8, 2018
– The Evening Standard are sticking with the line that Arsenal will demand £40m for Sanchez from City, although they are increasingly alone in that.
– The Daily Mirror claim an exclusive, and to be fair add new information. They say that City have sounded out Arsenal about a £25m move.
– John Cross also says that Arsenal would prefer a deal done early so that they can sign a replacement before the window closes. It should be said that Arsene Wenger admits Arsenal are not close to signing anyone, and we’ll believe this bit when we see it. This is Arsenal, after all.
– By Tuesday morning, the Daily Mirror go with a new line, claiming that Arsenal want to sign Thomas Lemar as Sanchez’s replacement this month. A few issues there: 1) The story doesn’t come from Cross, which seems odd, 2) Lemar said he didn’t want to move to Arsenal in the summer, and has much changed since? 3) Monaco have said they aren’t selling in January.
One thing does look increasingly obvious: Arsenal are going to lose a key player in January at a time when the mood is low. This might not end well.
EXCLUSIVE: Man City make first move to sign Alexis Sanchez in January | @johncrossmirror@DiscoMirrorhttps://t.co/j8grp4H1sNpic.twitter.com/d6MemOOCq8
— Mirror Football (@MirrorFootball) January 8, 2018