Latest
Donald Trump sets for another showdown with Congress
President Donald Trump of the United States is set for another showdown with US congress following his decision to declare a national emergency when a federal government funding deal runs out later this month.
The president said he had “set the stage” for action to sidestep congress to secure $5.7bn (£4.4bn) for a wall on the US-Mexico border, as the prospect of a second government shutdown looms.
In a wide-ranging New York Times interview, Trump also said he had received reassurances he was “not a target” of Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation and dismissed talk he may not seek re-election in 2020.
The president spoke to the newspaper he has repeatedly derided as “failing” after contacting its publisher, AG Sulzberger.
During the interview in the Oval Office, Mr Trump hinted that he planned to declare a national emergency in two weeks’ time if the deadlock with Democrats over border wall funding continues.
Trump last week signed off a spending bill that reopened federal government departments until 15 February following the longest shutdown in US history.
The US President has continued to insist he will not sign off a long-term funding package without money for the border wall, but Democratic House speaker Nancy Pelosi said on Thursday there was “not going to be any wall money in the legislation”.
A group of 17 Republican and Democrat politicians has been set up to thrash out a compromise, but Mr. Trump told the New York Times: “I think it’s a waste of time … They don’t want to give money for the wall.”
Asked if he had “set the table for emergency declaration,” the president replied: “I’ve set the table. I’ve set the stage for doing what I’m going to do.”
He added: “I’ll continue to build the wall, and we’ll get the wall finished.”
Trump also brushed off Mr. Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, claiming deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein had told his lawyers “that I’m not a subject, I’m not a target”.
Asked if that reassurance also covered the separate investigation by federal prosecutors in New York, he replied: “I don’t know about that.”
The special counsel has previously refused to confirm if Mr. Trump was a focus of his investigation.
Trump dismissed speculation he may opt against running for a second term in the White House. “I love this job,” he said, although he added he had lost “massive amounts of money” while president.
“There’s been more of a burden on me than other presidents,” he claimed.
Discussing potential Democratic challengers in 2020, he said California senator Kamala Harris – whose name he mispronounced Kameela – had “the best opening so far”, with a “better crowd, better enthusiasm”.
-
Football1 week agoWAFCON 2026: Super Falcons battle South Africa for World Cup play-off spot
-
Latest1 week agoOsun 2026: Oyinlola group backs Oyebamiji, faults Adeleke over exclusion
-
Football5 days agoSuper Falcons target World Cup play-off spot against South Africa
-
Business6 days agoBigi, Fearless take campus engagement to new level, reach 20 tertiary institutions
-
Featured3 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Business5 days agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Business4 days agoWho is really benefiting from Nigeria’s economic reforms?
-
Featured3 days agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool


