Football
UCL returns this week: Barca’s good news, Roma’s bad news
Barcelona are busy preparing for their Champions League quarter-final clash with Roma, and reports claim they could be handed a huge injury boost. The two sides meet in the first leg at the Nou Camp on Wednesday night, with the Catalan giants undoubtedly hoping to take a positive result to the Italian capital next week. In order to do that, Ernesto Valverde will be desperate to have as close to a fully-fit squad at his disposal as possible, and he could be handed some great news this week, with the La Liga title race and Copa del Rey final in mind too.
According to Sky Sport Italia journalist Gianluca Di Marzio, Sergio Busquets could make a quick recovery from injury and may even be in the starting line-up to face Eusebio Di Francesco’s side. The Spanish midfielder has been sidelined in recent weeks with a foot injury, and given he has already made 41 appearances in all competitions for Barcelona so far this season, his absence has been noticeable for the La Liga leaders as they slipped up at Sevilla at the weekend. However, as noted in the report, Busquets is said to have resumed training with his teammates this week and in turn has been tipped to make the starting XI to face Roma on Wednesday night.
Given his influence in providing a protective shield in front of the backline coupled with his ability to set the tempo and start attacks, he is a fundamental link in Barca’s play and has been for years. Having him back for the business end of the season with so many big games coming up will be a major boost and music to the ears of Valverde, while Busquets will also be delighted if he can return and suffer no setbacks with the World Cup in Russia this summer in mind too.
-
Latest1 week agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Latest5 days agoTinubu files: US Judge grants four-day extension in FOIA disclosure battle
-
Latest1 week agoOsun Decides: INEC declares Adeleke winner
-
Entertainment4 days agoPoco Lee faces rape allegation as unverified UK arrest report spreads online
-
Featured5 days agoBeyond Osun 2026: What Adeleke’s re-election reveals about Nigeria’s road to 2027
-
Comments and Issues2 days agoCan President Tinubu Revive Nigeria’s Moribund Refineries?
-
Business5 days agoStandard Bank eyes stake in OPay ahead of planned $4bn US IPO
-
Business2 days agoTinubu knocks Atiku’s subsidy plan, says proposal shows ‘ignorance’ of economy


