Latest
I ‘ll keep contesting for president as long as I’m healthy—Atiku
Nigeria’s former Vice-President, Atiku Abubakar says he will “keep contesting” for the Nigerian presidency as long as he is hale and hearty.
Atiku who stated this during an interview on the Hausa service of the Voice of America in Abuja, said even the former US President Abraham Lincoln contested seven times before finally winning.
Abubakar, who is 77-years-old, was the standard-bearer of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2023 election, and will be 81 by the time the next presidential election comes around in 2027.
“Of course, I will keep contesting again and again as long as I am alive and healthy,” Abubakar said.
Abubakar has run for the number one office six times but has been on the ballot as a presidential candidate on three occasions — 2007, 2019, and 2023.
READ ALSO: I’m not retiring from politics any time soon–Atiku
Abubakar said he is consoled by the fact that former United States President Abraham Lincoln did not win the presidential vote on the first time of asking.
He also spoke about the crisis in the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), saying the party needs to be united and forge alliances with other political groups to win the presidential election in 2027.
“However, given the current state of the PDP, it is clear that a single-handed effort will not suffice to win the election. Strong support and collaboration with other parties are required.”
Last week, Abubakar said he was engaging Peter Obi, presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) in the 2023 election, on the possibility of a merger.
“This is to anybody that thinks there is going to be a misunderstanding between me and Obi, let me assure you that not even a small issue is going to happen between us,” Abubakar said.
“Also, we are going to be behind anybody that will be chosen to represent us in the forthcoming elections. I have made it clear in my previous speeches that if our parties are going to merge to agree on a candidate from the south-east, as long as he is qualified, we will allow it.”
-
Business1 week agoNigeria’s foreign debt climbs 22% to $51.86bn under Tinubu administration
-
Business1 week agoDangote Refinery sues FG over petrol import licences in downstream market showdown
-
Business6 days agoAnalysts hail equities rally as over 30 NGX stocks beat inflation in April
-
Comments and Issues6 days agoWhy the killing of Abu-Bilal al-Manuki by U.S. and Nigerian forces matters
-
Business6 days agoSterling Holdings FY2025 profit soars by 89% despite rising credit losses
-
Comments and Issues6 days agoIf you’re enjoying Tinubu’s policies raise your hand
-
Comments and Issues6 days agoTinubu or Wike: Where does Governor Monday Okpebholo’s alliance lie?
-
Business5 days agoDespite huge investment, Nigeria’s telecom sector struggles to meet soaring data demand

