Featured
Illegal Immigrants: 126 Nigerians Die In The Sea Trying To Get To Italy
By Ediale Kingsley
At least 126 migrants were feared dead after their boat sank off the coast of Libya while trying to make the perilous crossing to Europe, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said Monday.
National Daily gathers that, the migrants left Thursday from Libya but their inflatable boat sank several hours into the journey, IOM spokesman Flavio Di Giacomo said.
The survivors said traffickers intercepted their boat shortly after setting off and stole their engine.
“The boat, which was already overloaded, quickly began taking on water and sank,” Di Giacomo said.
The four survivors — two Sudanese and two Nigerian nationals — were picked up by Libyan fisherman who handed them over to another migrant boat making the dangerous Mediterranean Sea crossing.
Di Giacomo said the survivors were finally rescued by the Italian coast guard and taken to Sicily along with about a thousand others who have been rescued in recent days.
Italy has registered more than 65,000 migrant arrivals since January, up nearly a fifth from the same period last year.
More than 1,800 people have died attempting the crossing since the start of the year, according to IOM figu
-
Latest5 days agoMakinde declares 2027 presidential bid under PDP–APM alliance
-
Business4 days agoNigeria: Whither the fruits of 2026 crude oil windfall?
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoPolitical Parties Primaries: Consensus or Coronation?
-
Business3 days agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoDoes it matter to Africa if Nigel Farage comes to Number 10?
-
Featured5 days agoObasanjo faults Tinubu’s economic reforms, calls them necessary but poorly designed
-
Business6 days agoAnger, debate trail proposed $1.25bn loan amid concerns over Nigeria’s debt surge
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoIs France Real or Playing Ping Pong With Africa?

