Latest
Obi backs Atiku, describes Lagos-Calabar coastal highway project as misplaced priority
Peter Obi, presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP) in the 2023 elections has joined former Vice President Atiku Abubakar in condemning the Lagos-Calabar coastal highway project recently approved by the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu administration.
While Atiku had earlier queried the cost of the project which he described as bogus, Peter Obi in a series of posts on his X handle on Monday, said the government should focus on completing the countless abandoned road projects across the country.
“At the forefront of my concerns is the pressing issue of numerous uncompleted roads scattered across the country, many of which have become hazardous death traps and security risks,” Obi wrote.
“Most of these roads, vital for economic growth, regional connectivity, and overall development have been under construction for several years if not decades now and are unlikely to be completed any time soon due to poor and unplanned funding.”
READ ALSO: Obi laments death of Ogbonnaya Onu
Obi said despite the envisaged benefits of the coastal highway, its funding would “only exacerbate the problem of abandoned uncompleted projects that are not contributing to economic growth and overall development” of the country.
He said the project may not be completed in the next 30 years and advised the federal government to prioritise the urgent needs of Nigerians.
“We must allocate resources towards repairing and completing existing infrastructure crucial for the well-being and safety of our society, before embarking on new projects, no matter their perceived benefits,” he said.
“Let’s prioritise the urgent needs of our people and ensure that our investments serve the collective good of the nation.
“In any development formula, the primary focus should be on completing and rehabilitating existing infrastructure rather than embarking on colossal new projects that may never reach completion within the next 30 years.”
Meanwhile, a week ago during an interview on Channels Television, Dave Umahi, minister of works, said the project would be completed in eight years.
-
Business6 days agoNigeria: Whither the fruits of 2026 crude oil windfall?
-
Latest6 days agoMakinde declares 2027 presidential bid under PDP–APM alliance
-
Comments and Issues7 days agoPolitical Parties Primaries: Consensus or Coronation?
-
Comments and Issues6 days agoDoes it matter to Africa if Nigel Farage comes to Number 10?
-
Business5 days agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Business4 days agoNigeria’s foreign debt climbs 22% to $51.86bn under Tinubu administration
-
Comments and Issues6 days agoIs France Real or Playing Ping Pong With Africa?
-
Comments and Issues6 days agoThe “Onuku” Called Kenneth Okonkwo

