News
Outgoing Israeli army intel chief apologises for Oct. 7 failures
Israel’s outgoing head of military intelligence, Aharon Haliva, has apologised and accepted full responsibility for the intelligence failures that allowed the deadly Oct. 7, Hamas attack on Israel.
Maj.-Gen. Haliva said he bore “full responsibility for the failure of the intelligence department’’ as he handed over office to his successor, Shlomi Binder.
Haliva said those in leadership positions were expected to take responsibility.
According to him, the military intelligence service has conducted a thorough investigation into the Hamas terrorist attack to enable Israel to better tackle future challenges.
He also warned against the expansion of the Gaza war to the wider region and again called for the establishment of a state commission of inquiry.
He said doing so would ensure the security of Israel and its people in the future.
His successor, Binder, said that the events of Oct. 7 and the unbearable price we had to pay will stay with me forever.
ALSO READ: Accept Israel’s Gaza truce proposal, Blinken tells Hamas
Haliva officially announced his resignation in April.
Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant and the chief of the domestic security service, Ronen Bar, have previously admitted responsibility for the attack.
However, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has not yet accepted personal responsibility.
On Oct. 7, Hamas and other groups from the Gaza Strip raided southern Israel, killing more than 1,200 people and abducting another 250 as hostages.
Israel responded to the massacre with massive airstrikes and a ground offensive in the Gaza Strip.
The Hamas-controlled health authority said the number of people killed in the territory since the beginning of the war stands at 40,223, with at least 92,981 other Palestinians injured in the same period.
-
Latest4 days agoMakinde declares 2027 presidential bid under PDP–APM alliance
-
Business3 days agoNigeria: Whither the fruits of 2026 crude oil windfall?
-
Comments and Issues4 days agoPolitical Parties Primaries: Consensus or Coronation?
-
Featured4 days agoObasanjo faults Tinubu’s economic reforms, calls them necessary but poorly designed
-
Business5 days agoAnger, debate trail proposed $1.25bn loan amid concerns over Nigeria’s debt surge
-
Business2 days agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Latest4 days agoWike says Makinde’s presidential ambition dead on arrival
-
Featured4 days agoWike dismisses political speculation over meeting with APC Chairman Yilwatda

