Crime
Unknown gunmen kidnap 16 fishermen on Uganda-DR Congo border
Unknown militiamen kidnapped 16 Ugandan fishermen on Lake Albert shared with the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the Police said on Tuesday.
Julius Hakiza, the Albertine Region Police spokesman, told Xinhua by telephone that the fishermen were abducted together with their motorised engine boats and taken to DRC on Sunday.
Hakiza said the abductors were asking for ransom before they release the captives.
“This is not the first time the Congolese are abducting Ugandans.
“What normally happens is that they have their go-between negotiators who pick a ransom of between $500 and $1,000 before the victims are released,’’ the police spokesperson said.
“We do not know exactly where they were taken because there are many landing sites on the Congolese side.
“What we are sure of is that they were taken to Congo.’’
He said the Marine Police have since intensified patrols on the lake.
In October last year, suspected Congolese militiamen also abducted 16 Ugandan fishermen from the same lake.
-
Football6 days agoSuper Falcons target World Cup play-off spot against South Africa
-
Business7 days agoBigi, Fearless take campus engagement to new level, reach 20 tertiary institutions
-
Featured4 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Business5 days agoWho is really benefiting from Nigeria’s economic reforms?
-
Business6 days agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Featured4 days agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Aviation1 week agoAir Peace suspends flights as aviation unions block Lagos, Abuja terminals
-
Business6 days agoDeep offshore tax order to unlock $50bn investment, boost oil output–Ojulari


