Crime
Davido was target of Osogbo attack on Adeleke’s convoy—Police
The Osun State Police Command has said preliminary investigations indicate that music star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, was the target of an attack that disrupted Governor Ademola Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo on Wednesday.
The incident occurred shortly after the governor received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo.
The governor was reportedly accompanied by Davido, his nephew, who played an active role in the election campaign, as well as members of his family.
According to the police, a confrontation involving suspected cult members and Davido’s security personnel escalated into a gun battle around Oja Oba, lasting for more than 15 minutes.
Police Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Ojelabi, said preliminary findings showed that members of the Eiye Confraternity allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but were resisted by his security team.
Ojelabi identified one of the suspects as Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as Small Rugged, whom he described as an ex-convict, suspected cult member and notorious thug.
READ ALSO; Gunfire erupts as suspected hoodlums attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo
He said Taoreed allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but was prevented by the singer’s security personnel.
“The confrontation attracted other gang members who blocked the palace entrance and obstructed the governor’s convoy,” Ojelabi said.
The police spokesperson added that the suspects allegedly opened fire while fleeing the scene, hitting a 60-year-old man, Tajudeen Yusuf, at Itaolokan area of Osogbo.
Yusuf was rushed to the Osun State University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, where he was pronounced dead.
The incident reportedly created panic in the area as security personnel engaged the suspected attackers in an exchange of gunfire.
The Commissioner of Police in charge of election security, CP Samuel Etaifo, condemned the violence and ordered a full-scale investigation into the incident.
Etaifo said the command had intensified efforts to identify and arrest suspects who fled the scene, assuring residents that those responsible would be brought to justice.
He urged members of the public with useful information about the identities or whereabouts of the suspects to contact the police and assist the ongoing investigation.
The command also appealed for calm, stressing that security personnel had been deployed to strategic locations across Osogbo to prevent further violence and maintain public safety.
-
Football1 week agoSuper Falcons target World Cup play-off spot against South Africa
-
Business1 week agoBigi, Fearless take campus engagement to new level, reach 20 tertiary institutions
-
Featured5 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Business6 days agoWho is really benefiting from Nigeria’s economic reforms?
-
Business7 days agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Featured5 days agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest5 days agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Business7 days agoDeep offshore tax order to unlock $50bn investment, boost oil output–Ojulari


