ICT
FG urges stakeholders to support 2019-2023 national broadband plan
The Minister of Communications, Dr Adebayo Shittu, has urged stakeholders in the Information Communication Technology (ICT) sector to support the Nigerian National Broadband Council with credible suggestions toward the development of the Nigerian National Broadband Plan (NNBP) 2019–2023.
The minister’s request is in a statement issued by his Special Assistant (Media), Mr Bolaji Kazeem in Abuja on Friday.
Kazeem said that the minister stressed the need for sustainable broadband capacity that could drive the country’s socio-economic activities.
He quoted the minister as saying “there is enormous need for sustainable broadband capacity to improve quality of services.
“The Nigerian National Broadband Council has been reviewing the progress made so far, and has identified areas of programme
adjustment to permit the realisation of new and emerging opportunities.
“Such areas of review are: development of an Integrated National Broadband Backbone, development of National Policy on
Open Access and the constitution of Inter-Ministerial Committee on ICT Convergence and related issues.
“Others are engagement of strategic partners on specific issues such as funding, tax waivers and participation of stakeholders
in the review process through suggestions to improve on the new strategy document.’’
According to the minister, Nigeria has been improving its use of ICT enabled services to drive socio-economic activities.
He added that the Nigerian National Broadband Council was established to provide periodic evaluation of progress,
facilitate coordination and collaboration, as well as highlight areas of programme adjustment to permit the realisation of emerging opportunities.
Shittu said that the Ministry of Communications had developed critical policy documents to guide interested investors and
industry players to engender trust.
“Some of the policy documents include the e-Government Masterplan, the Local Content Guideline, and ICT Roadmap,’’ he added.
-
Featured1 week agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Latest1 week agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Featured1 week agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest1 week agoOsun poll: Chaos in Ejigbo as voters, INEC officials run for safety
-
Latest1 week agoOsun Poll: Police dispute Speaker’s siege claim, nab 300 at politician’s residence
-
Latest1 week agoOsun poll: Adeleke accuses Police of aiding APC supporters to disrupt voting [VIDEO]
-
Latest5 days agoTinubu files: US Judge grants four-day extension in FOIA disclosure battle
-
Latest7 days agoOsun Decides: INEC declares Adeleke winner


