Connect with us


South African mob attacks Nigerians again, kills two



Spread The News

By Odunewu Segun

A South African mob on Thursday attacked a building in Polokwane, Limpopo province where a group of Nigerians were said to be having a meeting, killing two Nigerians and injuring several, National Daily has gathered.

Nigeria’s high commissioner to South Africa, Martins Cobahm confirmed the death of a Nigerian mechanic identified as Razak Ajao and another Nigerian who was yet to be identified.

“I can confirm that a Nigerian, Razak Ajao, an auto mechanic was killed and four others injured during a mob attack against foreigners in Polokwane, Limpopo Province of South Africa today (Thursday),” Cobahm said.

He said the Nigerian mission has formally registered a protest to the South African ministry of foreign affairs on this sad incident. “The ministry said they would get back to the mission and that is the situation we are now. The mission has also reported the attacks to the South African police.”

ALSO SEE: Xenophobic attacks on Nigerians: SERAP asks SADC to sanction South Africa

Speaking further, the high commissioner said the mission is meeting with officials of Nigeria Union on the incident to decide on the next line of action. “We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you informed.”

Cobham said two of the injured Nigerians had been treated and discharged while others were still receiving treatment in the hospital.

Meanwhile, Ralph Nwachukwu, a Nigerian living in South Africa, who could not give the names of the victims, said the attack started when Nigerians living in that area were holding a meeting.

“They held a meeting on Tuesday and today (Thursday) was supposed to be a follow up. It was at the peak of the meeting that the South African taxi drivers swooped on them.”

According to him, the mob accused Nigerians of peddling drugs and began to attack them with dangerous weapons that led to the death of two while many others were seriously injured.

Nwachukwu said Nigerians, in a bid to register their complaint, went to police station but the commander at the station drove them out instead of listening to them. He alleged that the commander threatened to shoot them if they did not leave the station.