Covid-19
Africa risks becoming epicenter of coronavirus outbreak, says WHO
Africa could become the next epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak, the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned.
The warning is coming as the global coronavirus infection hit 2,308,093 on Friday with 158,871deaths and 590,392 recoveries.
UN officials also say it is likely the pandemic will kill at least 300,000 people in Africa and push nearly 30 million into poverty.
The past week in Africa has seen a sharp rise in coronavirus cases.
There have been almost 1,000 deaths and almost 19,000 infections across Africa, so far much lower rates than in parts of Europe and the US.
The UN Economic Commission for Africa – which warned 300,000 could die – called for a $100bn (£80bn) safety net for the continent, including halting external debt payments.
The WHO says the virus appears to be spreading away from African capitals.
It has also highlighted that the continent lacks ventilators to deal with a pandemic. More than a third of Africa’s population lacks access to adequate water supplies and nearly 60% of urban dwellers live in overcrowded slums – conditions where the virus could thrive.
-
Football6 days agoSuper Falcons target World Cup play-off spot against South Africa
-
Business1 week agoBigi, Fearless take campus engagement to new level, reach 20 tertiary institutions
-
Featured4 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Business5 days agoWho is really benefiting from Nigeria’s economic reforms?
-
Business6 days agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Featured4 days agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest4 days agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Business6 days agoDeep offshore tax order to unlock $50bn investment, boost oil output–Ojulari


