Crime
Boko Haram abduct 17 girls in fresh attack in Chibok
Boko Haram abduct 17 girls in fresh attack in Chibok.
Following fresh attacks in the Chibok Local Government Area of Borno State, no fewer than 17 girls have reportedly been abducted.
According to SaharaReporters, 25 girls were initially abducted by the terrorists however eight escaped leaving 17 in captivity. The insurgents broke into the town on Thursday night after shooting in different directions, causing the residents to run helter-skelter for safety.
The insurgents were said to have torched not less than 20 houses, including a branch of Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa a Nigeria EYN Church.
According to a resident, the leader of vigilantes in the community was the main target as the local guards had waged war against the insurgents in the axis.
276 girls were kidnapped from Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, on April 14, 2014. Since then, a number of them have regained freedom. At least 57 of the girls escaped the night they were kidnapped while three of them were later found. Twenty-one of the girls were released in October 2016 while another 82 were released on May 6.
The government said the 82 girls were swapped with Boko Haram prisoners.
On May 27, 2017, another girl also escaped from the terrorists.
-
Football1 week agoSuper Falcons target World Cup play-off spot against South Africa
-
Featured6 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Business7 days agoWho is really benefiting from Nigeria’s economic reforms?
-
Business1 week agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Featured6 days agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest5 days agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Business1 week agoDeep offshore tax order to unlock $50bn investment, boost oil output–Ojulari
-
Business7 days agoPound climbs to N1,837 as Naira holds steady amid stronger FX market liquidity


