Covid-19
COVID-19 ravages top echelon of Nigerian Army
Late Major-General Olubunmi Irefin, who died last week of COVID-19 complications has turned out to be a super-spreader of the virus.
Reports said many senior officers ordered to go into quarantine have tested positive as well.
According to Channels TV, quoting unofficial military sources, no fewer than 18 generals have tested positive.
They were among the senior officers who had contact with Irefin, when he came to Abuja last week for the Chief of Army Staff Conference, and fell ill.
Military authorities are yet to confirm this, but the results are for officers who came from army formations outside Abuja to attend the conference.
The results for officers based in Abuja and the army headquarters have not been released.
Out of abundance of caution, Chief of army staff, Lt. General Tukur Buratai last week cancelled the remaining session of the conference.
He also went into quarantine as he disinvited the officers, who he had invited to his son’s wedding last Friday.
From all indications, Nigeria is now in the middle of a second wave of CoVID-19, with rising infections, especially in Abuja, Lagos and Kaduna.
Irefin, until his death was the GOC of 6 Battalion based in Port Harcourt.
-
Latest4 days agoMakinde declares 2027 presidential bid under PDP–APM alliance
-
Business3 days agoNigeria: Whither the fruits of 2026 crude oil windfall?
-
Comments and Issues4 days agoPolitical Parties Primaries: Consensus or Coronation?
-
Business3 days agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Featured4 days agoObasanjo faults Tinubu’s economic reforms, calls them necessary but poorly designed
-
Business5 days agoAnger, debate trail proposed $1.25bn loan amid concerns over Nigeria’s debt surge
-
Comments and Issues4 days agoDoes it matter to Africa if Nigel Farage comes to Number 10?
-
Latest4 days agoWike says Makinde’s presidential ambition dead on arrival

