By OKOSUN OKHUELEIGBE
Two siblings were on Friday burnt to death after an early morning fire outbreak razed a three bedroom flat in Lagos.
The incident occurred inside the Navy Officers’ quarters, Camp site, at Kirikiri, about 3:30am. The fire killed two brothers aged six and nine years.
National Daily gathered that the father of the kids, a Navy Captain, who was out of town with their mother when the incident occurred, had left their three children with their house help, identified as Patience.
Although the fire broke out while all four occupants of the flat were fast asleep, Patience, it was gathered, was able to rescue the couple’s first son, Ayomide, 13.
Unfortunately, the younger sons did not survive the disaster allegedly caused by an electrical surge.
The fire was said to have been put out about an hour later by a combined team of Fire Service, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) and policemen from the Kirikiri division.
When contacted, LASEMA’s General Manager, Micheal Akindele said the remains of the deceased were taken to Navy hospital located within the barracks.
The other surviving occupants were taken to Navy hospital for further examination and treatment.
Akindele said: “Priliminary report revealed that the fire was caused by electrical spark from one the room in the building, spreading to the whole apartment.
“I want to appeal to Lagosians that proper checks be carried out on cables and electrical installations to avoid unnecessary loss of lives and properties.”