Football
Ex FIFA Vice president bags 9 years jail terms
Former FIFA vice-president Juan Angel Napout has been sentenced to nine years in prison after he was convicted of racketeering and corruption offences as part of the FIFA bribery scandal.
Napout, a former president of South America’s football governing body CONMEBOL, was sentenced in Brooklyn, New York, on Wednesday.
A statement from the office of US Attorney Richard Donoghue said Napout, convicted of conspiratorial racketeering and two counts of wire fraud conspiracy, will also have to pay $4.3million (£3.3m) in financial penalties.
“Napout’s conviction, as well as the successful prosecution of other high-level soccer officials, has struck at the core of corruption in soccer and underscores the need for continued vigilance against fraud and bribery in the sport,” said Donoghue.
José Maria Marin.
Napout’s sentencing comes after former Brazilian Football Confederation president José Maria Marin was sentenced to four years in prison for racketeering and corruption offences earlier this month. Maria
Marin, 86, took bribes in exchange for the media and marketing rights to various tournaments, including the Copa America.
-
Business4 days agoNigeria: Whither the fruits of 2026 crude oil windfall?
-
Latest5 days agoMakinde declares 2027 presidential bid under PDP–APM alliance
-
Comments and Issues6 days agoPolitical Parties Primaries: Consensus or Coronation?
-
Business4 days agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoDoes it matter to Africa if Nigel Farage comes to Number 10?
-
Comments and Issues5 days agoIs France Real or Playing Ping Pong With Africa?
-
Business3 days agoNigeria’s foreign debt climbs 22% to $51.86bn under Tinubu administration
-
Comments and Issues4 days agoThe “Onuku” Called Kenneth Okonkwo

