Featured
N304.1m fraud: Ex-NIMASA boss to know fate Dec.19
The trial of a former acting Director-General of NIMASA, Haruna Jauro, will resume comes December 19, a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has said.
The case which was scheduled for continuation of trial on Monday could not proceed as planned because the court did not sit.
Jauro is standing trial over alleged N304 million fraud. The charge was preferred by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
He assumed leadership of NIMASA – Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency – after its erstwhile Director-General, Patrick Akpobolokemi.
Jauro was charged along with one Dauda Bawa and Thlumbau Enterprises Ltd., on a 19-count charge bordering on theft, fraudulent conversion of NIMASA’s property to private use and money laundering.
They were accused of committing the offences in NIMASA from January 2014 to September 2015.
They were arraigned on April 12, 2016, but pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The court admitted them to bail in the sum of N5 million each with two sureties each in like sum.
The defence, thereafter, opened its case and is still bringing witnesses for evidence.
At the last adjourned date, on Nov. 12, defence counsel, Mr Olalekan Ojo (SAN), informed the court that the second Prosecution Witness (PW2), who he intended to recall for evidence, was absent in court.
The PW2 is a staff member of NIMASA.
Citing various judicial and statutory authorities, Ojo told the court that the defence was at liberty to recall a witness who had been called by the prosecution.
According to him, the witness was unable to attend court due to some circumstances.
In response, prosecution counsel, Mr Rotimi Oyedepo, argued that Section 256 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law provided that the court could even call a witness already called by prosecution.
He, however, said that the defence had not brought any formal application before the court to that effect, adding that there must be a valid application before the court.
Oyedepo claimed that the defence was attempting to stall trial.
Justice Mojisola Olatoregun ruled that defence counsel should file a formal application.
-
Latest4 days agoMakinde declares 2027 presidential bid under PDP–APM alliance
-
Business3 days agoNigeria: Whither the fruits of 2026 crude oil windfall?
-
Comments and Issues4 days agoPolitical Parties Primaries: Consensus or Coronation?
-
Business3 days agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Featured4 days agoObasanjo faults Tinubu’s economic reforms, calls them necessary but poorly designed
-
Business5 days agoAnger, debate trail proposed $1.25bn loan amid concerns over Nigeria’s debt surge
-
Comments and Issues4 days agoDoes it matter to Africa if Nigel Farage comes to Number 10?
-
Latest4 days agoWike says Makinde’s presidential ambition dead on arrival

