Latest
Oyo govt denies release of abducted teachers, students as rescue efforts continue
The Special Adviser on Security to Seyi Makinde, Abayomi Fagbenro, has dismissed widespread reports claiming that teachers and students abducted during last Friday’s attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State have regained their freedom.
Fagbenro described the reports circulating on social media as false, insisting that the victims remained in captivity as of Thursday morning.
Responding to inquiries over the alleged release, the governor’s aide said, “As of 10:35 am, it is not true.”
The clarification followed a wave of online posts suggesting that the abducted students and teachers had been rescued or released by their captors.
While some social media users celebrated the purported development, others questioned the authenticity of the claims, pointing out that no official government statement or confirmation from credible media organisations had been issued.
The Nigeria Police Force also denied having knowledge of any release.
Oyo State Police Public Relations Officer, Olayinka Ayanlade, said security authorities were yet to confirm the freedom of the abducted victims.
He, however, assured that security agencies were intensifying operations aimed at rescuing those still being held by the gunmen.
The abduction incident occurred last Friday when armed men attacked three schools located within the Ahoro-Esinle/Yawota axis of Ogbomoso in Oriire Local Government Area.
READ ALSO: Security crisis deepens as Gani Adams claims bandits in 40 South-West LGAs
The affected schools included Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Community Grammar School, and LEA Primary School.
Governor Seyi Makinde had earlier disclosed that seven students were abducted from Community Grammar School, while another 18 children and seven teachers were kidnapped from First Baptist Primary and Nursery School during the coordinated attack.
The incident triggered widespread concern across Oyo State and beyond, with calls mounting for urgent action to secure the release of the victims.
Following the attack, the Inspector-General of Police, Tunji Disu, ordered the deployment of additional detectives from the Force Headquarters in Abuja to support ongoing rescue efforts.
The Defence Headquarters had also announced that troops made contact with the abductors and were working toward securing the safe release of the kidnapped students and teachers.
Meanwhile, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Tajudeen Abbas, called for a careful, coordinated, and timely operation to ensure the victims are rescued safely.
Security operations around the affected communities are said to have been intensified as authorities continue efforts to track down the kidnappers and secure the release of those still in captivity.
-
Business6 days agoNigeria: Whither the fruits of 2026 crude oil windfall?
-
Comments and Issues1 week agoPolitical Parties Primaries: Consensus or Coronation?
-
Latest7 days agoMakinde declares 2027 presidential bid under PDP–APM alliance
-
Comments and Issues7 days agoDoes it matter to Africa if Nigel Farage comes to Number 10?
-
Business5 days agoNigeria’s foreign debt climbs 22% to $51.86bn under Tinubu administration
-
Comments and Issues1 week agoIs France Real or Playing Ping Pong With Africa?
-
Business6 days agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Comments and Issues6 days agoThe “Onuku” Called Kenneth Okonkwo

