Latest
Skyscraper housing Australia, UK embassies in Madrid evacuated after bomb threat
A skyscraper housing embassy in Madrid was evacuated on Tuesday after a bomb threat was received by telephone at the Australian embassy there, a police spokesperson said.
The 57-storey, 235-metre (770-ft) high Torre Espacio, one of four towers located in the Spanish capital’s financial district, also houses the embassies of Britain and Canada.
ALSO READ:Brexit: British lawmakers vote Thursday
A British embassy spokesperson said its staff had been evacuated around midday (1000 GMT) and were safely outside the building.
The Australian embassy said on Twitter: “The @AusEmbEsp will remain closed for the rest of today, Tuesday, April 16, until further notice. Apologies for any inconvenience.”
Television footage showed a police cordon and fire trucks outside the building.
“The usual emergency protocol was activated immediately,” the police spokesperson said.
(Reuters/NAN)
-
Featured6 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Business1 week agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Business1 week agoWho is really benefiting from Nigeria’s economic reforms?
-
Featured6 days agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest6 days agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Business1 week agoDeep offshore tax order to unlock $50bn investment, boost oil output–Ojulari
-
Business1 week agoPound climbs to N1,837 as Naira holds steady amid stronger FX market liquidity
-
Latest6 days agoOsun poll: Chaos in Ejigbo as voters, INEC officials run for safety


