Trump condemns abduction of school girls in Yobe

The U.S. government has condemned the abduction of over 90 schoolgirls of Government Girls Technical College, Dapchi, Yobe, by suspected Boko Haram insurgents.

About 94 girls were said to be missing after Boko Haram attacked attacked Government Girls Technical College, Dapchi on Monday.

Initially there was a report that some of the girls have been found only for the governor of the state, Ibrahim Gaidam to deny the report when he visited the town on Thursday.

Heather Nauert, spokesperson of the U.S. Department of State, told newsmen on Thursday that the U.S. was yet to get all the details about the abduction.

“We are still trying to get all the details about that but we wanted to mention that we condemn in the strongest possible terms the terror attack on a school earlier this week in north-eastern Nigeria.

“The choice of targets including schools, markets and places of worship reflect the brutality of terror organisations.

“The victims in the attacks were girls who were simply seeking an education,” Nauert said.

She said the U.S. extended its condolences to the students and to their families affected by the terror attacks.

The U.S. also expressed its concerns that some of the students are still not accounted for. We continue to support Nigeria’s efforts to counter the terror group. We also support Nigeria’s efforts to enable more than two million displaced in the Lake Chad region to return home safely.

“United States continues to provide humanitarian assistance to those who were affected by the violence,” she said.

There has been tension in the area amid speculations that some of the students might have been abducted by the insurgents.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY