Politics
U.S., Israel agree on need to destroy Hezbollah sites along border
The U.S. and Israel agree on the to destroy Hezbollah, and the “necessity of dismantling attack infrastructure” along the Lebanon border, the Pentagon has said.
U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin had spoken with his Israeli counterpart Yoav Gallant to review security developments and Israeli operations, his department said in a statement.
The U.S. and Israel had agreed on “the necessity of dismantling attack infrastructure along the border” to ensure that Lebanese Hezbollah militia could not conduct October 7-style attacks on Israel’s northern communities.
“The Secretary reaffirmed that a diplomatic resolution is required to ensure that civilians can return safely to their homes on both sides of the border.”
READ ALSO: Jordan, Saudi Arabia affirm support for Lebanon
The pair had also discussed the “importance of ultimately pivoting from military operations to a diplomatic pathway to provide security and stability as soon as feasible,” the statement added.
Austin had again assured Israel of Washington’s full support to defend itself against Iran-backed terrorist organisations, the Pentagon said.
The Israeli military said early on Tuesday it had begun “targeted ground raids based on precise intelligence,” against Hezbollah targets in southern Lebanon.
Ahead of the Israeli announcement, Washington on Monday said it had been informed of the planned “limited operations” on the Lebanese border.
The Pentagon added the U.S. was well postured to defend its personnel, partners, and allies in the face of threats from Iran and Iran-backed terrorist organisations.
“The Secretary and Minister Gallant discussed the serious consequences for Iran in the event Iran chooses to launch a direct military attack against Israel,” the statement added.
dpa/NAN
-
Business6 days agoNigeria’s foreign debt climbs 22% to $51.86bn under Tinubu administration
-
Business1 week agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Energy1 week agoRising global oil tensions raise fresh fears over Nigeria’s fuel prices
-
Business7 days agoDangote Refinery sues FG over petrol import licences in downstream market showdown
-
Business5 days agoAnalysts hail equities rally as over 30 NGX stocks beat inflation in April
-
Business5 days agoSterling Holdings FY2025 profit soars by 89% despite rising credit losses
-
Business5 days agoDespite huge investment, Nigeria’s telecom sector struggles to meet soaring data demand
-
Business5 days agoFirstBank unveils Naira Visa Debit Card to deepen cashless payments, financial inclusion

