Rappers like MI, Falz, Ruggedman and Phyno have all taken the rap music to a whole new level in Nigeria. But there are many other talented Nigerian rappers who made waves outside Nigeria.
Let’s check them out:
1. Nas: Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones, professionally known as Nas, is an American rapper and songwriter, famous for songs like ‘I Can’ and ‘The World Is Yours.’ His jazz musician father Olu Dara is of Yoruba descent.
2. Wale: Olubowale Victor Akintimehin, popularly known as Wale, is an American rapper. He was born in Washington DC to Nigerian parents. He has released hit tracks like ‘On Chill’ and ‘Bad.’
3. Chamillionaire: Hakeem Seriki aka Chamillionaire is an American rapper famous for songs like ‘Hip Hop Police’ and ‘Goodmorning.’ His father is a Muslim Nigerian.
4. Jidenna: Born in 1985, American rapper Jidenna Theodire Mobisson was born in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin to a Nigerian father and a white mother. He is famous for songs like ‘Bambi’ and ‘Classic Man.’
5. Lil’ O: Born Ore Magnus Lawson in Lagos in 1977, Lil’ O has released tracks like ‘I Wonder Why’ and ‘It Can’t Rain 4ever.’
6. Kami de Chukwu: Kene Ekwunife, professionally known as Kami is a Nigerian-American rapper known for songs like ‘Red Rover’ and ‘Blaqlight.’
7. Cozz: Cody Osagie or Cozz is an American rapper born in Los Angeles, California to a Nigerian father. His tracks include: ‘Knock The Hustle’ and ‘Lambo Truck.’
8. Tyler The Creator: Born Tyler Gregory Okonma in 1991, he is famous for his songs ‘New Magic Wand’ and ‘Yonkers.’
9. Maxo Kream: Emekwanem Ogugua Biosah Jr, professionally known as Maxo Kream, is a Nigerian-American rapper and songwriter. His songs include: ‘Meet Again’ and ‘Roaches.’
10. Fat Tony: Born Lawson Jude Ifeanyichukwu Obiawunaotu in March 1988, Fat Tony is a Nigerian-American rapper well-known for hit songs like ‘Swervin’ and ‘Hood Party.’