Hours after the Nigerian armed forces declared about 100 members of the Bok Haram sect wanted, the jihadist group has launched a deadly attack on a Yobe state community claiming many lives.
The attack came just after the sect released yet another video laying claim to the acquisition of rocket technology with which it will manufacture deadly arsenals to attack facilities in the country.
Residents of Bara town in Gulani local government area of Yobe state were said to have been woken up from sleep in the wee hours of last Wednesday by the invading insurgents shouting: Allah- akbar!
According to eye witness account, the villagers were said to have taken to their heels while the Boko Haram elements set several houses in the village ablaze leaving scores of the villagers dead.
The attack has been reported to the police as the Commissioner of Police in the state, Zannah Ibrahim has visited the scene of attack to assess the extent of damage and ascertain the number of casualties.
The town, which currently lacks basic social amenities and telecom services due to militants incessant vandalism, was again raided last Wednesday, just as the Chadian leader, Idris Derby disclosed that the leadership of the Boko Haram sect had changed.
Derby, who was speaking at his country’s 59th independence anniversary from France, said the change of guard became necessary as the erstwhile leader, Abubakar Shekau had absconded from Nigeria following intensive attacks on the insurgents in order to flush them out of the country. Shekau, according to the Chadian leader, had been replaced with one Ibrahim Daoud whom he said is more disposed to discussions with the federal government on the protracted crisis.
Residents said the militants burnt down houses, shops, foodstuffs, among other valuables, using Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs).
Mallam Sule Yaji, a resident who spoke to newsmen in Damaturu, said: “They stormed the town chanting ‘Allahu Akbar’ as locals took to their heels into the bushes for safety.”
Yaji disclosed that the insurgents who arrived the town in large numbers burnt several houses during the coordinated attack.
According to him, some of the residents caught up in the houses set ablaze were receiving treatment at Bajoga Hospital in neighbouring Gombe state.
President Buhari had ordered the Nigerian military to bring the insurgency in the Northeast to an end by December, however, recent attacks by the insurgents have led some to say that the deadline stipulated by the president might not be feasible.
Only recently, the jihadist group uploaded images of a factory where they are manufacturing weapons to keep waging war against Nigeria.
Some say the photos of the Islamist’s rocket making factory, is a reply to the Nigerian Army’s report on the 100 most wanted members of the sect.