Business
Disregard reports on mandatory submission of IMEI for phone users – NCC
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has dismissed reports that it intends to collect Nigerians’ phone identification numbers.
The NCC Director of Public Affairs, Ikechukwu Adinde, who reacted to the reports in a statement on Friday, said the commission has no plan to collect mobile network subscribers’ International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) from July.
READ ALSO: Why Nigerians ‘ll not pay more for petrol in June – Sylva
Recall that there were reports earlier In the day that the NCC had announced that beginning from July, Nigerians will be required to submit the IMEI of their phones.
This was allegedly stated by the regulatory body in the Revised National Identity Policy for SIM Card Registration.
However, in a statement by the regulatory agency on Friday, Adinde said the reports in question emanated from a section of the Revised National Identity Policy for SIM Card Registration recently launched by President Muhammadu Buhari and which has been uploaded on the commission’s website.
READ ALSO: Woman stabs husband to death over mistress’ pregnancy
“It is pertinent to state that the commission is in the process of deploying a Device Management System (DMS). The DMS will essentially protect subscribers against phone theft and will identify and enable the elimination of fake devices from the networks. The system will capture IMEI automatically without any requirement for subscribers to submit same.”
Adinde, therefore, advised Nigerians to disregard the reports.
-
Football7 days agoWAFCON 2026: Super Falcons battle South Africa for World Cup play-off spot
-
Latest7 days agoOsun 2026: Oyinlola group backs Oyebamiji, faults Adeleke over exclusion
-
Business5 days agoBigi, Fearless take campus engagement to new level, reach 20 tertiary institutions
-
Football4 days agoSuper Falcons target World Cup play-off spot against South Africa
-
Business3 days agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Latest5 days agoOsun 2026: Adeleke, Oyebamiji Clash Over N650bn, ‘Federal Might’ ahead of poll
-
Featured2 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Crime7 days agoWoman arrested over murder of 36-year-old man in Uyo residence


