Catholic Bishop of Ekiti, Felix Ajakaye, says one year after the brutal attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo state, Nigerians are still waiting for answers on those behind the horrific attack.
On June 5, 2022, gunmen attacked the Catholic Church leaving 40 people dead and many injured.
Bishop Ajakaye in a statement asked Lucky Irabor, Chief of Defence staff, to give an update on the suspects arrested over the attack.
Recall that in August 2022, Gen. Irabor said the gunmen behind the attack had been arrested.
However, Bishop Ajakaye noted that one year after the attack, Nigerians are still waiting for answers, noting that the Defence Chief is yet to update Nigerians on what has become of the suspects.
“There was outright condemnation within and outside Nigeria against the evil and unprovoked attack. Typical of the then President Muhammadu Buhari’s government, it commiserated with the Church, Ondo state and the people concerned, and it promised to arrest the culprits,” he said.
“Really, the government was widely known for its promise of always being on top of the situation, though it was never seen to be on top of the action.
“Surprisingly, a few months after the attack, addressing a world press, General Lucky Irabor, the chief of defence staff, informed the world that arrests had been made regarding the Sunday attack at St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo.
“Unfortunately, to date, 5 June 2023, exactly one year after, we have not heard anything again from the army general.
“Now, a question for the chief of defence staff, general Lucky Irabor. Please, sir, when shall we be lucky to know what has become of the people you told Nigerians and the whole world were arrested due to their involvement in the massacre of the over 41 people and scores of people seriously injured during the Church attack of the worshippers by such people in Owo on 5 June 2023?
“Until an answer is given, we shall keep asking the question. Remember, the cases of the Chibok girls, Leah Sharibu and the others are still there.”