Business
Protesters storm CBN to swap old naira notes
Following the drought of cash and the February 10, 2023 deadline on old naira notes, Nigerians have stormed the Edo state Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), to express their displeasure on the rejection of naira swap by commercial banks across the country.
In a viral video circulating on Social media, Tuesday, a man was seen expressing his grievances on the current situation.
Many said they have so many of the old notes in their possession.
READ ALSO: Nigeria stands to lose $18m GDP monthly over Naira scarcity, expert warns
Officials of the bank told the protesters to go to their respective Commercial banks to swap the notes.
But the protesters insisted they had been to their banks and were asked to return to the apex bank.
One of the protesters, Francis, said they were at the CBN at Alagbaka Akure because the commercial banks refused to collect the old notes from them.
Francis said he could not allow his money to become useless
Policemen were drafted to the scene and after some minutes, some CBN officials informed the protesters that the commercial banks had been contacted to begin the collection of old notes.
-
Featured6 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Business7 days agoWho is really benefiting from Nigeria’s economic reforms?
-
Business1 week agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Featured6 days agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest6 days agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Business1 week agoDeep offshore tax order to unlock $50bn investment, boost oil output–Ojulari
-
Business7 days agoPound climbs to N1,837 as Naira holds steady amid stronger FX market liquidity
-
Latest6 days agoOsun poll: Chaos in Ejigbo as voters, INEC officials run for safety


