Politics
Russia’s nuclear-powered cruiser to begin sea trials
Russia’s nuclear-powered missile cruiser Admiral Nakhimov is expected to begin sea trials in August or September, local media reported on Wednesday.
“The cruiser is now in the final stage of preparation for sea trials,” said RIA Novosti, quoting a source from Russia’s defense industry.
“All systems, units and equipment are undergoing checks, and the delivery crew is being formed.”
In July, Andrei Kostin, head of the VTB Bank and chairman of the board of directors of the United Shipbuilding Corporation, said that repairs on the Admiral Nakhimov had been completed.
He also said that the ship was ready for trials.
The Admiral Nakhimov, a Kirov-class battlecruiser, is the largest surface combat ship in the Russian Navy, with a displacement of more than 25,000 tonnes and a nuclear propulsion system.
It is designed to destroy large surface targets and provide integrated air and anti-submarine defence.
Built in the late 1980s, the cruiser served with the Northern Fleet before being sent for repairs in the late 1990s.
The overhaul and modernisation work began in 2013. (Xinhua/NAN)
-
Football1 week agoWAFCON 2026: Super Falcons battle South Africa for World Cup play-off spot
-
Football5 days agoSuper Falcons target World Cup play-off spot against South Africa
-
Business6 days agoBigi, Fearless take campus engagement to new level, reach 20 tertiary institutions
-
Featured3 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Business5 days agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Business4 days agoWho is really benefiting from Nigeria’s economic reforms?
-
Featured3 days agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Business5 days agoDeep offshore tax order to unlock $50bn investment, boost oil output–Ojulari


