Football
Wales withdraw backing for Infantino’s FIFA re-election bid
The Football Association of Wales has withdrawn its support for FIFA president Gianni Infantino’s bid for re-election, becoming the first national football association to publicly oppose his candidacy for the 2027–2031 term.
The decision follows Infantino’s abandoned proposal to sell stakes in the FIFA World Cup, a plan that attracted widespread criticism from football stakeholders before being shelved last week.
In a statement issued on Monday, the FAW said it no longer had confidence in Infantino’s leadership.
READ ALSO: Inter beat Manchester City on penalties as Maresca suffers defeat in first match in charge
“The Football Association of Wales hereby confirms its withdrawal of support for the candidature of Mr Gianni Infantino for re-election as FIFA president for the 2027–2031 term,” the statement read.
“The recent failures in good governance, processes, leadership, values, stakeholder management, communications and sound judgement have led us to a position where Mr Infantino has lost the confidence of the FAW to remain at the helm of world football.
“Failing to put the best interests of football first is a failure we cannot accept.”
Infantino announced last week that he was abandoning the controversial World Cup investment proposal following strong opposition from football bodies and stakeholders.
The FIFA presidential election is scheduled to take place in Rabat, Morocco, in March 2027.
-
Latest5 days agoTinubu files: US Judge grants four-day extension in FOIA disclosure battle
-
Comments and Issues2 days agoCan President Tinubu Revive Nigeria’s Moribund Refineries?
-
Latest1 week agoOsun Decides: INEC declares Adeleke winner
-
Entertainment4 days agoPoco Lee faces rape allegation as unverified UK arrest report spreads online
-
Featured6 days agoBeyond Osun 2026: What Adeleke’s re-election reveals about Nigeria’s road to 2027
-
Business2 days agoTinubu knocks Atiku’s subsidy plan, says proposal shows ‘ignorance’ of economy
-
Business5 days agoStandard Bank eyes stake in OPay ahead of planned $4bn US IPO
-
Business4 days agoProfit-taking hits NGX again as First HoldC leads market declines


