Business
$2bn tax case: MTN Nigeria to know fate next year
A Federal Judge has finally fixed January 30th and 31st of 2020 to hear the allegations by the federal government of Nigeria against telecom giant, MTN Nigeria Plc over $2bn in back taxes.
The leading telecoms company has continued to deny any wrongdoing, claiming innocence of the tax demand made last year by Nigeria’s Attorney General, Abubakar Malami.
Recall that in September 2018 that the office of Nigeria’s Attorney General demanded that MTN should pay up the accrued sum of $2 billion it owed in back taxes.
The demand came at a time when the company was still trying to finish up with another cash settlement imposed by the government over the company’s alleged fraudulent SIM registration practices.
Around the same time, the telco was ordered by the Central Bank of Nigeria to bring back the sum of $8.1 billion which it remitted to South Africa illegally.
On the tax demand, the Attorney-General said MTN’s $2 billion tax debt was uncovered when his office investigated companies’ tax compliance in Nigeria. According to him, taxes span over a ten-year period and are related to the importation of foreign equipment into the country as well as payments to the suppliers of the said equipment.
MTN maintained that the demand is uncalled for, claiming that it settled all its tax obligations. The company had even asserted “it is both regrettable and disconcerting” that it is facing these issues despite previous efforts made in the past to resolve them.
MTN had filed the suit by a writ, dated September 10, 2018, challenging the legality of the AGF’s assessment of its import duties, withholding tax and value added tax in the sums of $2 billion.
The Telecom giant among other reliefs, a declaration that the AGF’s demand of the sums of $2 billion from MTN, is premised on a process which is malicious, unreasonable and made on incorrect legal basis.
At the last adjourned date on February 7, the court had fixed Tuesday March 26 for hearing of the preliminary objection by the AGF, after parties informed the court of service of their various processes.
-
Latest5 days agoTinubu files: US Judge grants four-day extension in FOIA disclosure battle
-
Latest1 week agoOsun Decides: INEC declares Adeleke winner
-
Entertainment4 days agoPoco Lee faces rape allegation as unverified UK arrest report spreads online
-
Featured5 days agoBeyond Osun 2026: What Adeleke’s re-election reveals about Nigeria’s road to 2027
-
Comments and Issues2 days agoCan President Tinubu Revive Nigeria’s Moribund Refineries?
-
Business5 days agoStandard Bank eyes stake in OPay ahead of planned $4bn US IPO
-
Business2 days agoTinubu knocks Atiku’s subsidy plan, says proposal shows ‘ignorance’ of economy
-
Business4 days agoProfit-taking hits NGX again as First HoldC leads market declines


