Crime
40 feared dead in Benue militia gangs clash
At least 40 persons, including a family of seven, were feared dead in clashes between militia gangs in Gbagir community in Ukum local government area of Benue State on Tuesday.
A military source told journalists on Wednesday in Makurdi that security operatives had been deployed to restore normalcy.
He urged residents of the community to furnish the operatives with credible information to succeed in the operation.
The source said: “It was militiamen that were killing themselves.
“One or two persons might have been caught in the crossfire, but the majority of the people that were killed were members of militia gangs in the area.
READ ALSO: Plateau Assembly Speaker storms complex amid controversy
“The villagers know those carrying out this dastardly act but are shielding them.
“We saw several corpses. Suspected armed herdsmen did not carry out the attack. It was a clash between two local militia groups.”
The spokesman for the state police command, Sewuese Anene, also confirmed the clash.
He, however, said only eight corpses had so far been recovered from the scene.
The spokesman added that additional operatives had been deployed to restore peace and order in the community.
Anene also dismissed reports of ongoing mass burial in the community.
-
Latest4 days agoMakinde declares 2027 presidential bid under PDP–APM alliance
-
Business3 days agoNigeria: Whither the fruits of 2026 crude oil windfall?
-
Comments and Issues4 days agoPolitical Parties Primaries: Consensus or Coronation?
-
Business3 days agoTrump-Xi summit sparks fresh questions for Nigeria’s economy, tech sector
-
Featured4 days agoObasanjo faults Tinubu’s economic reforms, calls them necessary but poorly designed
-
Business5 days agoAnger, debate trail proposed $1.25bn loan amid concerns over Nigeria’s debt surge
-
Comments and Issues4 days agoDoes it matter to Africa if Nigel Farage comes to Number 10?
-
Latest4 days agoWike says Makinde’s presidential ambition dead on arrival

