Crime
Court sentences Twitter user to psychiatric care over fake kidnap tweet
An Abuja Magistrate Court has sentenced one Ameerah Safiyanu to 12 months psychiatric care over a fake kidnap tweet.
She was arraigned on Wednesday on the sole charge of misleading the police pursuant to section 140 of the penal code.
James Idachaba, police prosecutor, tendered a medical report indicating that Sufyan was mentally ill when she gave the false information.
Idachaba prayed the court to give the defendant a non-custodial sentence under section 44 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act.
READ ALSO: Twitter rolls out new features to enhance user experience
He also prayed that she should be placed under the supervision of the police counselling unit, for a regular review of her mental state.
Chinyere Moneme, defendant’s counsel, did not oppose the submissions of the prosecution.
In his judgment, Chukwuemeka Nweke, presiding magistrate, ordered that the defendant should be released conditionally to a probation officer.
She is to undergo psychiatric care for the next 12 months.
On June 14, Ameerah, via her Twitter handle @Ameerah_sufyan, tweeted that she and 16 other persons, including children and pregnant women, were kidnapped from their different homes in the federal capital territory (FCT).
“Please whoever has my WhatsApp number, I sent a broadcast message of my location. We were abducted at gunpoint by [people] with police uniforms and a van from our houses from different parts of Abuja. We’re 17 including 3 pregnant women and two little kids. They didn’t see my phone,” she had written.
In another post published about two hours after the previous one, she said the victims had been divided into separate groups.
The incident had elicited reactions on social media as many Nigerians bemoaned the country’s security challenges.
Reacting to the incident, the FCT police command had said operatives had been deployed to track the victims.
Three days later, the FCT police command said Ameerah had been found and debunked the report of the abduction of 17 persons.
Ameerah later made another post apologising that the previous tweet was a false alarm.
-
Featured6 days agoOsun 2026: What the battle could signal for 2027 general elections
-
Business1 week agoOPay transactions surge 115% to $358bn as Fintech eyes $4bn US IPO
-
Business1 week agoWho is really benefiting from Nigeria’s economic reforms?
-
Featured6 days agoOsun Election: How poverty turns ₦20,000 into a powerful vote-buying tool
-
Latest6 days agoCoca-Cola faces backlash over alleged AI filter blocking Christian messages
-
Business1 week agoDeep offshore tax order to unlock $50bn investment, boost oil output–Ojulari
-
Business1 week agoPound climbs to N1,837 as Naira holds steady amid stronger FX market liquidity
-
Latest6 days agoOsun poll: Chaos in Ejigbo as voters, INEC officials run for safety


